Following the opening of Kook’s Fuggles Beer Cafe, Tonbridge project. We are excited to announce our next project with The Royal Oak Tunbridge Wells. The historic building, which was formerly a coaching house dates back to 1735.
Taken over by Craig Beeson, chairman of the West Kent CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale), in a joint venture with Adrian Collacott, formerly of local restaurant Saint John’s Yard. The pair hope to transform the towns oldest surviving pub into a modern, multi-functional space.
And that’s where Kook come in…
Work has already begun updating the exterior. Structural work on the roof has been taken care of. While the previous weathered signs have been replaced with simple gold effect, metal sign. The exterior brick work has been painted in a mix of Farrow & Ball’s Shadow White and Drop cloth.
In the coming months, we will be working closely with The Royal Oak on the redesign of their interior layouts including the currently derelict upper floors. As well as producing branding material to be used both digitally and for print, which will tie in with the projects concept.
The existing interior has been left mostly untouched since it was last refurbished in the 60s. The dark wooden panelling and heavily patterned upholstery not only give the space a dated feel. It also makes the room feel incredibly dark and imposing.
The spacial layout of the building has huge potential which we hope to enhance with a playful yet sophisticated design scheme.
Back to blog